Monday, October 18, 2010

Diageo Dramming part 3 - Glen Elgin

Glen Elgin is one of the 8 Glen Elgin distilleries (surprise)

Glenlossie, Mannochmore, Glen Moray, Miltonduff, BenRiach, Longmorn and Linkwood is the other 7. Glen Elgin is actually the one furthest away from Elgin, approx 4 miles south of Elgin city center

Glen Elgin

Glen Elgin might not be the most beautiful amongst distilleries, but the giant wormtubs lining up, when you enter the distillery's parking "square" is an awesome view

Wormtubs

Wash Still
Spirit Still

Glen Elgin has recently been added to the Classic Malt range as a 12yo. I really like the 16yo, which is a cask strength bottling and at around 50£ is a real cracker and great value for money bottling. I wish Diageo did more bottlings like this instead of the silly overprised Manager's Choice series - ooh and the few Manager's Choice I tried wasn't as good as this 16yo.
 I think Glen Elgin is a hidden gem and it's my favourite Diageo Speysider. It's not that uncommon as independent bottling and has always been a real treat for me.

Glen Elgin 16yo as presented on TWE

1. Glen Elgin 1984 25yo bottled by The Nectar of the Daily Drams 43.8%

Bottled 2010

This is a light floral, minty-vanilla dram, with a lovely nose you can sit down and enjoy forever

On the palate the lightness of this whisky turns intense. Being a huge fan of ex-bourbon casked whisky I just love the characteristics of this whisky. I find it light on the vanilla, dominant on the floral side and quite heavy on the minty. The 25 years in the cask gives a nice spicy touch to this. If you are a fan of Compass Box Spice Tree this will appeal to you as well

The finish is medium-short and delightful :-)

Rating 89

The Nectar of the Daily Drams is a pair of belgian/dutch importers independent bottling series, which is easy accesable if you participate in the Limburg Whisky Festival :-). The quality of the bottlings I have tried has been excellent.


PS When I visited Glen Elgin earlier this year I found it peculiar the staff never heard of the 16yo!..Well, you don't have to be a whisky drinker to make it, at least not in the earlier stages!




No comments:

Post a Comment